China Medical University (CMU) (click here for English version website) was the first medical school established by the Chinese Communist Party. It was founded in Ruijin city, Jiangxi province in 1931. In November 1948, northeast China was liberated and the university was moved to Shenyang.
Over 80,000 senior specialized medical personnel have been educated by CMU since its establishment. Its graduates live and work all over China as well as in other countries in many parts of the world. It has nurtured many famous medical experts and leaders of national health administration and education.
CMU now has 28 colleges and departments. In CMU, there are:
- 56 disciplines (specialties) authorized to grant doctoral degrees and 49 authorized to grant masters degrees
- 13 specialties for undergraduates and 10 specialties for higher professional techniques
- One affiliated health school
- Two key national laboratories and three (health) ministerial laboratories
- One national clinical study base for drug development and one national laboratory for research into traditional Chinese medicines
- Four post-doctoral programs
- 27 provincial recognized disciplines
- Eight provincial recognized research and treatment centers
- Three municipal recognized research centers
The university has 21 educational and research institutes or centers, eight central laboratories, 15 independent research laboratories, and three companies of science and technology.
There are 7,998 beds in CMU’s three affiliated comprehensive hospitals and one dental hospital. The total staff of CMU is 13,121, and 85.2% are professionals in different specialties. Among them there are:
- One member of Chinese Academy of Engineering
- 604 professors and 918 associate professors
- 431 tutors for doctoral and 994 tutors for masters students
- Two members of the evaluation group of the academic degree committee of the state council
- 27 chairmen or vice-chairmen of national academic societies
- 16 young and middle-aged teachers who have been awarded national young talent or other grants
- 105 who were chosen for the provincial training plan for outstanding personnel
- 64 who were named as provincial young leaders of their discipline or distinguishing key teachers
The total number of registered students is now 15,977, including 1,112 doctoral postgraduates;, 3,712 masters students; 9,366 undergraduates; 432 students from foreign countries and Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan; and 1,355 students of the affiliated health school.
CMU occupies a total land area of 1,800,000 square meters with 629,000 sq.m of building area. The library with its collection of more than 1,100,000 volumes is the northeast regional center of the National Medical Literature Resources Sharing Network of the Ministry of Health, northeast center of the China Medical Information Network, and a national health science and technology referee unit for checking originality. The laboratory animal center of CMU is also the provincial center for laboratory animals and their quality control and breeds 23 species and strains of experimental animals for teaching and research.
CMU has established good exchange and cooperative relations with 80 universities, institutes, and institutions in countries including Japan, USA, UK, France, Russia, Korea, and Canada. There are 293 internationally famous scientists who have had honorary degrees conferred by CMU. 5,133 teachers have been sent abroad for research or advanced training and 56 international cooperative projects have been conducted recently.